This was our first Thanksgiving in San Diego. This really great organization called Homefront San Diego had brought by a bunch of Thanksgiving food for my family that we were planning on using for part of our meal with our San Diego family, the Collards (my dad's cousin's family). I was very excited to have somewhere to go, especially since I was so homesick. My brother was going to introduce the family in Indiana to his fiance, Lynley, at Thanksgiving, and it turned out that I was the only member of my family that would not be there. Boohoo. So, as I was saying, I was very grateful that my uncle Steve's family invited us on over.
Well, on Thanksgiving morning, Garrett woke up with heavy breathing and a nasty cough. :( So, we ended up staying home so no one else would get sick. Kevin was on duty the night before, so before he headed home, I hurried to have a nice Thanksgiving meal ready. Luckily, we had all that food from Homefront San Diego, so I was able to make fruit salad, stuffing, sweet potatoes, corn, green beans and some chicken that I already had.
We decided to watch a fun movie together as a family, so we rented Fred Claus. I decided that is my favorite holiday movie. It just fits my sense of humor. Kevin really liked it too. If you ever see it, my favorite part is the part with the little brother support group.
We got a couple of nice visits on Thanksgiving. The missionaries stopped by with a message about how it is hard to focus on the negative when you are counting your blessings. I thought that was a good message.
We were also happy to get a visit from Uncle Steve. He brought us some of their Thanksgiving ham and pumpkin pie and ice cream. Let's just say that we were like turkeys and gobbled that right up. Yummy.
All in all, we had a pretty nice day. When we were thinking about what we are thankful for, Kevin is thankful for his family. I am thankful for my family and this opportunity we have to be here and have Kevin in the Navy. Garrett is thankful for his family and apples. Caiti is thankful for her family and sippy cups. Jason is thankful for his family and baby food, and the rest of us are thankful for his passy because it helps him be happy.
1 comment:
I'm glad it all worked out for you guys. It's no fun being sick on such a holiday as Thanksgiving!
Post a Comment